Monday 9 June 2014

Very scary health episode last night

Had a very scary experience happen last night, health wise. 

I'd been feeling a bit strange in the afternoon. Sort of a bit light headed and tired. Almost a bit out of it, for want of a better phrase. David and I were watching telly and as the evening came I started feeling much worse. In fact it all came on very suddenly. I said to David that I was feeling very strange, and as the tiredness and uncomfortable light headedness took more of a hold I went and lay on the lounge. David was in the kitchen doing dinner.

So I'm lying on the lounge and start getting short of breath. Maybe that's not quite the way to describe it, more like my breathing was getting laboured. Was starting to be a real effort to do so. Started feeling very weak, and sweating like mad despite not being hot. David comes out of the kitchen, sees me, and is very concerned.

So I sit up so he doesn't worry. Bad move. I start sweating even more, dribbling down my face and saturating my shirt. I start feeling more weak, and slowly close my eyes and let myself lie sideways on the lounge, sort of in a slow fall from sitting to lying. David is talking to me but it's such an effort to answer. His voice seems a touch distant. He's asking me if I want to ring the ambulance.

Despite the horrible thought of having to go to bloody hospital again, I reluctantly agree. His voice is far off now, but I don't want to worry him. I wonder to myself, am I dying? Seems a bit of an odd time, when my health has had a few months now of a reasonable run. And fuck, I don't want to drop dead in front of David, poor bloke's been through enough shit without having to witness that. What the fuck is going on here?

So David rings the ambulance. Apparently I have a bit of a history of ambulance ringing, and so after they establish I'm conscious and talking they put David through to a doctor first to gauge my condition before sending one out. I guess that's to make sure I don't overuse the (for pensioners) free service?

She asks David to get me to sit up. I use much willpower to do so, however this time the sitting up seems to help a bit. Ever so slowly things settle down, to the point that by the time she was satisfied to hang up we were both doing the statutory anti-Abbott rave. (Her: "Yes you should hear some of the stories we get through here"). 

I was so bloody glad not to have to be carted off to hospital again. Was still feeling pretty shaky though, had a quick shower and went to bed. And proceeded to sleep for the next 14 hours. Incredibly tired, was sitting watching telly with my eyes closed just about. This is at only about 7 or 8 pm.

Feeling much better this morning, but I think I better go see my GP this week. Perhaps he may want to take some blood, or just do a general examination.

All in all, it was a very scary episode. Perhaps a reminder that life, no matter how good or bad your health is, hangs by just a thread.  

No comments:

Post a Comment