Monday 17 July 2017

85% of DSP applicants are rejected

Wow, I didn't know it was that many. And this article is a year old so has it gotten worse? I dunno, but it seems like they want to make it so hard to apply that people will end up trying to work when they aren't able to.

For anyone who thinks that Centrelink magically throws money at you upon walking in the door, or that recipients on the Disability Support Pension are dastardly bludger types engaged in ripping off taxpayers, then surely these numbers will quash that suggestion.


Only 15% of applicants for the DSP are successful, as of June last year. Meaning that a whopping 85% are rejected. On top of that the application process can take months with the applicant left in limbo.


I applied the other year and the process went surprisingly smoothly so I guess it's because of all the staff cutbacks at Centrelink for the delays now. It was still a difficult process for me though.The forms are daunting. If you could call them "forms". It's a book, and inside is another book. And there's another book of instructions on how to fill out the two books. 


It was also after the Gillard gov bought in the points system where you had to get enough points to be deemed disabled. As I have a number of issues  I didn't have a problem with that. Evidently I'm really fucked up :s


I can't imagine what I would have done however if the application was delayed for months. WTF was I supposed to do? Rent and all has to be paid. The only reason I didn't get fired from my last job was because I'd been there for 13 years. I was having so much time off I doubt I'd have stayed employed for long at a new job. Plus in printing it's hard physical work. I just couldn't do it anymore. 

It has never been tougher to make a successful claim for the Disability Support Pension (DSP), new Government figures suggest.

 Hundreds of thousands of people who are unable to work more than 15 hours a week rely on the payment.

 But statistics from the Department of Social Services obtained by the ABC indicate only about 15 per cent of current applicants are granted the DSP.

 The vast majority are rejected. ABC   

No comments:

Post a Comment